No doubt, the Xtratuf, and Grundens are some of the most common brands in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest. These brands specialize in varieties of fishing and rain clothing.
Do you fish or work near the water? Do you love outdoor life? Are you new to Alaska or the Pacific Northwest and you are uncertain about what brand would be best for you?
This article will provide all you need to know about Xtratuf and Grunden’s fishing boots; their differences and similarities.
A big difference between Xtratuf and Grundens is that while Xtratuf has a single insole, Grundens comes with double insoles.
History of Xtratuf
Xtratuf was established in the 1950s by BF Goodrich. It was intended originally for commercial fishermen.
Norcross purchased the company from Goodrich in 1985. Honeywell acquired the brand from Norcross in 2008 and in 2011 started production of casual footwear for both men and women.
Also that same year, Honeywell moved production from the USA to China.
In 2016, Xtratuf partnered with the Salmon Sisters, which provided the design for Xtratuf footwear. The Salmon Sisters Xtratuf Legacy boot collection started in 2017.
March 15, 2021, the brand was sold to Rocky brands.
Some of their products include:
- Xtratuf Legacy Boot series
- The Salmon Sisters Legacy Boot series
- Xtratuf Elite Series
- Xtratuf Deck boots
- Sharkbyte leather slip-on
- Chumrunner leather sneaker
- Finatic leather boot shoe
- 100% waterproof latex neoprene boot
- Slip-resistant outsoles
- Triple-dipped to protect against harsh chemicals
- Insoles keep your feet warm and dry
- The Xtratuf series 6 neoprene boot has removable insoles for comfort
- Light-weight and flexible
- Ankle deck boots are easy to remove and slip-on
- Available in only whole size
- High cost of rubber boots
- Delay in shipping
- Most designs are not good for persons with wide toes
- Due to lack of studs but grooves on the outsole, with longer time in the mud and ice, the sole will fill up
- Xtratuf 6 ankle deck boots have a weaker grip on outsoles.
- The Xtratuf 15 inch boots heels are a bit high and won’t do well in the woods
- The non-insulated deck boots won’t keep the cold away during the winter.
History of Grundens
Grundens was founded by Carl A Grunden in 1911. He started with making oiled clothing to protect fishermen from heavy rainfall.
In the 1930s, Grundens started the use of rubber fabrics for their garments and in 1950 he moved to PVC-coating garments.
The production of fishing boots and shoes was introduced, and till date, this company manufactures one of the best waterproof clothing for men, women, and kids alike.
Some of their products include:
- Grundens 15 inches Deck Boss Boots
- Grundens Deck Boss Ankle Boots
- Grundens Deck Boss Sandals
- Grundens Slip-on
- Sea knit Boat shoes
- Freeboard Leather Chukka Boot
- 100% waterproof boots
- Deck boots are puncture-resistant
- 15inches Deck boots have a silicone band to strap pants
- Double-piece removable insoles that keep feet warm and dry
- Well-gripping outsoles
- Temperature and anti-odor cooling liner
- Tough and Durable
- Wider than Xtratuf to accommodate wide toes
- Most boots designs are heavy-weight
- High cost
- The double insoles are a discomfort to some persons
- Available in only whole size
- Non-insulated boot won’t keep cold away
What are the similarities between Xtratuf and Grundens
- Both are very popular brands in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest
- Their boots are 100% waterproof
- Their fishing boots are also good for other outdoor activities
- Both are expensive
- They both have slip-resistant Outsoles
- Products are available in different colors
- They are both flexible and durable
Comparison: Xtratuf vs Grundens?
Xtratuf Fishing Boots
- Company’s branding
- Slip-resistant Chevron Rubber Outsoles
- Legacy series is oiled
- Ankle deck boots have front and back loops
- Heel counter
- Heel and toe guard
- Breathable lining
The Xtratuf 15 inch Legacy Series and Xtratuf 6 ankle deck boots have the company’s brand inscribed at the top. The Elite Series has this design by the sides.
The legacy and Elite series have slip-resistant Chevron Outsoles for a strong grip on slippery surfaces.
The legacy series boot is usually oiled to improve flexibility. To remove lol, wipe with a towel or air-dry.
The front and back loops of the ankle deck boots help to hold trousers in place.
The heel counter keeps the foot tightly in the shoe.
The toe and heel guards help protect against scrapes and wearing off.
The Elite Series has a breathable lining at the top to keep the foot warm and dry.
Grundens Fishing Boots
- Company’s logo
- Slip-resistant Outsoles
- Gum rubber Outsoles of Ankle deck boss boots
- Silicone band
- Toe cap
- Front and back loops
The Grundens 15 inches deck boss boots have the company’s name inscribed in specific areas, including the outsole. Some designs have the USA logo on the sides.
Their outsoles are Herkules grip to keep you standing firm on any surface.
The ankle deck boot has a rubber outsole for a better grip on surfaces.
Presence of toe cap to prevent cracks.
Silicone bands will help hold your trousers tightly.
The ankle deck boots have front and back looks to keep your pants in place.
Xtratuf also makes leather-designed boots.
The Xtratuf 6 inch leather ankle deck boots are made with leather that is resistant to saltwater.
However, they will wear off to a fine patina with time.
The Grundens Freeboard leather Chukka boot is made with full grain natural leather.
To provide added waterproofing and protection, this boot is overlaid with a rubber freeboard just above the outsole.
The Xtratuf outsoles are SRC-rated, the highest form of slip-resistant certification. These outsoles are rubber-made. They are made to give you full support on any kind of surface.
However, their ankle deck boots are not too good for slippery surfaces.
Xtratuf outsoles lack studs and will fill in with mud if you spend a long time in the mud.
Grundens outsoles are also rubber-made. They have Herkules grip outsoles which are slip-resistant.
They also have a built-in razor siping to drain water from the sole and offer a good gripping on any surface.
Xtratuf has removable insoles. You can remove, clean, and dry them. These insoles are breathable to keep your feet warm and dry.
Xtratuf also makes insoles you can buy independently for your boot. They are called felt insoles.
One peculiarity about Grundens boot is the double-piece removable insoles. The upper deck insole is perforated to keep your feet from soaking water if water gets in from the top.
They are well built to keep you dry all day long.
Quality And Durability
The Xtratuf fishing boots are made with latex neoprene, a more quality type of rubber that provides complete water resistance. With tough usage, these boots can last up to a year.
However, when Honeywell moved production to China, they were met with quality-based complaints, although Honeywell claimed the quality remained the same.
How well your Xtratuf boots will last will depend on how often you use them and how well you handle them.
Grundens Deck Boss boots are made with premium synthetic rubber to offer 100% waterproofing.
Their outsoles provide quality traction to keep you on your feet all day long.
They have a 15-inch upper that is injection molded to prevent abrasion.
They are made tough and very durable and can last up to two years and more if well handled.
The price rates for these products would differ based on the design, size and color. Their top price is about $210.
Xtratuf offers up to a 25% discount for active military troops and about a 10% discount for your first order. They also offer discounts for bulk purchases. Check out their price list here Xtratuf price list.
Grundens offers a wide range of products at different prices. They also offer discounts that can ease your purchase. Check out their price list here Grundens price list.
Xtratuf boots are true to size. However, It’s advisable to order one size up due to how narrow they are usually made.
Also, they do not have a half-size so if you wear a 10.5, order an 11.
Grundens are true to size and usually fit. They also do not have a half-size, you will have to order up if you wear a half-size.
I am sure we might have made our choice based on what we have read.
These brands are a great choice and have varieties you can choose from; from the 15-inch boots to the ankle deck boots.
The Xtratuf Salmon Sisters Series provides an extra colorful pattern that will keep the ladies looking more prettier.
I will go for the Grundens boots, I like the variety of designs they come in.
But it’s no harm to have both.
You can check them out below:
For Xtratuf, xtratuf.com, or Amazon.
For Grundens, eBay.com, or Amazon.